Thursday, September 2, 2010

Being a Rembrandt

When I was taking an Art History class on Rembrandt and Rubens the teacher told us a story about Rembrandt and how he would sneak into the Sisteen Chapel and sketch Michelangelo's work. And then he would tweak it just enough and call it his own. Michelangelo got so angry he actually had the chapel locked and set up camp inside.

I always found this story profound, because we all do it. We read something or see something and think "Oh what a great idea!" Then we take it tweak it just enough and wallah it becomes our own. I can see why inventors are so protective of their ideas. They don't want them stolen. So this is my challenge. I challenge you to come up with one idea that is your very own.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so true! There are so many people with parts of this and that to love and we want to immitate them in our own way. I've been thinking about how my MS is so similar and so different from the other LDS scripturalized fiction out there. Pretty soon I'm gonna have to tell an editor what is so special about mine and it scares me to death, yet I love my story. Maybe there is a small thing or two we can call our own but in the big picture, I think it's rare.

Gail said...

I agree I realized after I read my MS that it had so many aspects that were like other books that I gave up and decided my MS was unique in it's own way. But that is what made me think of writing this.